Fillmore Street in San Francisco has a reputation for being filled with fancy shops and restaurants, many of which seem out of reach for the average consumer. I live and work near this area, so I’ve had time to explore and find a few affordable favorites that I love to return to time and again.
If you find yourself on Fillmore for the holidays (or any time of year), here’s my short shopping guide:
- Boba Guys – my favorite fuel up spot on lower Fillmore (near O’Farrell St). I’ve become addicted to the boba tea. Who knew tapioca balls in oolong could be so satisfying? If I’m hungry, I’ll go for a little Sunday Bird chicken.
- Asmbly Hall – a few blocks north (between Bush and Sutter) is a sweet little clothing shop that caters to both men and women. They feature local designers and are surprisingly affordable and always on trend.
- Sunhee Moon – just across the street from Asmbly Hall, this local designer for women’s clothing has savvy window displays that will draw you in. Simple lines and beautiful patterns, it is easy to build an entire outfit head-to-toe with perfect layers.
- ModCloth – head on up the street (between Bush and Pine) to this “FitShop.” Featuring vintage-inspired women’s clothing in a full range of sizes (XXS-4X), the ModCloth experience is like ordering dim sum (one of each article of clothing on display; select what you like using pencil and mark sheet and they pull it for you in your size to try on). Whatever you buy is mailed to you in a couple of days.
- Credo Beauty – one more block up the street (near the corner of Sacramento) you’ll find a small storefront chock full of safe, non-toxic beauty items. Try out their testers of makeup, skincare and hair products.
Fillmore Street only allows small chain merchants; some have just a few shops in select cities while others are local to SF. All have an online presence, so click on the links above to buy from your locale, wherever you are. Happy shopping!